It is impossible for a startup to drive sustainable growth without getting product-market fit first. Lots of startups fail before P/M fit even happens.
Product-market fit is one of the most important Lean Startup concepts. The term was first used by Marc Andreesen in the blog post The only thing that matters. He defines product-market fit as being in a good market with a product that can satisfy that market.
According to Andreesen, product-market fit is not happening when:
– Customers are not getting value out of the product
– Word of mouth is not spreading
– Usage is not growing fast
– Press reviews are kind of dull
– Sales cycle takes too long
– Lots of deals never close